Step-by-Step Instructions for Players
Tournament will be played on lichess.org and will require an account. If you have a lichess account already then skip to step ‘4’. Note swiss tournaments can't be played on the lichess app at the moment due to swiss being a beta feature, though you can still create an account via the lichess app. If you only have access to a phone/tablet then you need to follow instructions on your browser. Then play the tournament on your browser too.
1) To create a lichess account navigate to lichess.org and at the top right click ‘sign-in’.
2) Next, click register.
3) On the next page fill in all of the details and accept everything then click register. You might be asked to confirm via E-Mail as a security measure. Now your account is made.
4) Before you can enter the tournament you need to state your entry to the WCU: https://www.welshchessunion.uk/EntryForms/SummerBlitz/entry-form.html. Fill in the details and click submit. You should eventually be put on the entrants list.
5) The Summer Swiss will be held on a lichess group under the name ‘Welsh Summer Online Blitz (9-Round Swiss Event)’. The group can be found here: https://lichess.org/team/welsh-summer-online-blitz-9-round-swiss-event. You first need to send a request to join this group and wait for a response. Alternatively, if you don’t have the link in the future, on lichess, you can navigate to Community/Teams/All Teams and search for the group.
6) After completing the entry form on the WCU site, if your name has been confirmed to be on the entries then you will eventually be accepted into the group (lichess will notify you of this). Once inside the group you should see ‘Welsh Summer Blitz Swiss’ under the ‘Tournaments’ section. Click this to enter and then press join to join the tournament.
You don’t need to do anything else. Your round 1 game will start automatically at 7pm 3rd July. All rounds will start automatically after the final game of the round has finished. If there is a delay due to the previous round going on longer that expected, you will be notified by the arbiter on lichess chat.
7) Optional, you can adjust your preferences such as ‘pre-move’ or ‘auto-promote to queen’ option. To do this click your profile at top right then click ‘Preferences’. Once in, have a flick through the options to customise as you see fit.